Carbon steel is a very popular material. And there a plenty of carbon steel woks on the market. But when it comes to high heat cooking safety is a big concern. Certainly, we don’t want to lather our food with toxic chemicals, and thus question like ‘is carbon steel wok safe?” arises.
What we know about carbon steel:
- Carbon steel is a traditional material used for making cookware. It is more advantageous over other metals used in cookware as it has perfect heat distribution ability and a light-weight.
- Carbon steel woks are healthier as compared to other materials like cast iron, aluminum, teflon coated nonstick materials etc. Aluminum react with foods, which might cause potential health issues. Teflon releases toxic fume. And cast iron has some properties that are not safe.
- Carbon steel is also recyclable, which makes it eco-friendly. Thus carbon steel woks are safe and healthier.
- The carbon steel woks are highly durable, safe, and long-lasting while being excellent conductors of heat.
But when it comes to a carbon steel wok you need to dig deeper if you are concerned with its potential health hazards.
We know that carbon steel is safe but declaring a carbon steel wok as healthy will not be the right thing to do. As with my growing experience in the cooking industry, I have learned over and over again that cookware has a higher amount of impurities.
No matter what the brand is telling you, it will never disclose all the constituent elements in a carbon steel wok. Hence you always have the risk of using an unhealthy or unsafe wok. So what is the solution?
How to pick a safe carbon steel wok?
The solution is pretty clear. You need to trust the brands which are in the cookware industry for more than a decade, give importance to customer feedback, or has a good customer support system. Brands that provide a warranty or replace the product as soon as you raise a concern are the ones to go for.
This not only implies for carbon steel woks, rather this is my universal tip for any cookware or product.
So, in a nutshell, carbon steel wok is safe for health however to avoid impurities in your wok always go for a reputable brand that has more than a decade of experience and trustworthiness in the cookware industry.
Here are the top three carbon steel woks safe for health
1. Craft Wok Safe Hand-Hammered Carbon Steel Wok:
Craft wok is a round bottom, heavy-duty carbon steel wok which is made with commercial standards. It is a traditional Chinese wok pan that is used across Asian countries.
It is manufactured traditionally using the hand-hammer technique and is best suited with gas stovetops. The material used is healthy and safe to use.
It is relatively safe and convenient to use as it comes with a steel handle with a wooden grip. The steel handle is comfortable and will prevent you from hand burns. The wooden grip is hygroscopic, so you can quickly stir-fry using this wok.
- This carbon steel wok is not compatible with electric or induction stovetops.
- This wok needs to be seasoned and maintained to avoid rusting.
2. Safe Flat Bottom Mammafong Carbon Steel Wok Pan:
If you need a wok pan to harness the intense smoky flavors in your stir-fry, this is the right choice for you. This flat bottom pan is perfect for stir-frying.
It is made with premium quality heavy-duty carbon steel, which endures high temperatures and ensures even faster heat distribution. It is excellent for your super busy kitchen and used by professionals.
The machine pressed flat-base also makes it compatible with electric and induction stovetops.
- It is not dishwasher safe and needs a thorough and gentle hand wash.
- It would be best if you wrote your own story. Well, that means you need to season it until it falls for you and gets its natural seasoning.
3. Pre Seasoned Yosukata Healthy Blue Carbon Steel Wok:
The pre-seasoned carbon steel wok comes with a healthy and natural coating, ensuring a non-stick cooking experience.
This pre-seasoned wok isn’t the one that comes with chemicals sprayed. Instead, it is coated with natural oils at extreme heat for better seasoning. It allows you to make delicious stir-fries with ease.
The wok is manufactured using a unique double baking process, which ensures the perfect penetration of oils into carbon steel and makes it durable and long-lasting. The flat base of a wok makes it compatible with all types of cooktops.
- It requires a little more care to ensure the strengthening of the seasoned layer. The use of soap and detergent can affect the patina.
- It is not dishwasher safe.
More tips for choosing a carbon steel wok safe for health:
The endless variety of cookware ranges might confuse you about which is the best one for you. To ease your search for healthy cookware, you can narrow down your search to the following:
Look for one which is:
Easy to Clean:
We use cookware in a too familiar way, and hence it needs to be cleaned thoroughly before and after use.
The reason to choose an easy-to-clean wok for healthy cooking is even a minute of leftover or stuck food particles can result in bacterial or microbial growth, which in case turned out to be pathogens, can affect your health and end up causing diseases.
It is essential to choose a wok that is easy to clean to avoid such circumstances.
The durability of material:
Carbon steel is already famous for its durability, but the market is full of cheap and healthy options. It is essential you lookup for a premium quality heavy-duty material.
Having evidence-based health risks:
Now, this is a tricky question. Let’s simplify it. There are people with sensitivities to various metals, which one might have learned in their medical history.
For such people, it is essential to pay attention to cookware material. For a person with hemochromatosis addition of iron to diet might cause a problem. For this kind of people, cast-iron woks aren’t the right choice.
So you have to choose your cookware wisely.
It might seem something new, but it is essential too. Some cookware might be hazardous for the environment when dumped.
But with the evolution in technology, everything is possible today; you can easily find biodegradable and environment-friendly cookware options.