Updated on April 2023
what are portable wok burners?
Wokware is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn Here.
Portable wok burners are compact and easy to carry stoves designed specifically for wok cooking. These wok burners typically run on propane or butane fuel and can be used in various settings, including kitchens, outdoor patios, or while camping.
Portable wok burners usually feature a single burner with a high heat output, typically ranging from 10,000 to 25,000 BTUs, which is suitable for wok cooking that requires high heat for quick stir-frying and searing. They often have adjustable flame controls to allow for precise heat adjustments during cooking.
Some portable wok burners also come with additional features such as ignition systems, safety shut-off valves, and wind guards to enhance safety and convenience during outdoor or indoor use. They are typically made of stainless steel or other durable materials for longevity and ease of cleaning.
When choosing a portable wok burner, consider factors such as heat output, fuel type, size, portability, durability, and safety features. These burners can be a convenient and versatile option for wok cooking in various settings where a built-in wok burner is not available. Or for those who prefer the flexibility of a portable option, these burners are ideal.
Best Indoor & Camping Wok Burner
Iwatani 15k BTU Wok Burner: This is the best indoor wok burner in the 15k BTU range on the market by Iwatani, and also the highest-rated portable wok burner by users.
I own this burner for a year now. After using it several times, other than the ignition switch I hadn’t encountered any problem. The ignition switch does need cleaning from time to time for better functioning.
|Features of Iwatani 15k Wok burner|
|1.||Heavy duty aluminum body|
|3.||High-quality brass single burner|
|4.||Simmer to high heat control dial|
|5.||Easy to use, just push|
the butane can & ignite
|6.||Automatic shut off|
when get overheated
|7.||Automatic ignition switch|
|9.||Made in Japan|
This is definitely a great countertop gas wok burner to perfect wok cooking indoors.
Safety is the biggest concern when you are using a wok burner indoors. So, while investing you must ensure that the stove has the essential safety features.
This portable wok burner by Iwatani is packed with many crucial features that will aid in safe wok cooking.
Why This Portable Butane Burner Is A Safer Choice?
Iwatani wok burner has an automatic shut-off switch in case things get too much hot. This helps resist sudden accidents.
This natural gas wok burner is made with heavy-duty aluminum which is durable and rust-proof.
Overall it has all the essential features like windbreakers, push, and use features for butane gas canisters. It also has an advanced heating panel to completely empty down the gas canister leaving no residue. Additionally, it comes with a one-year warranty on all defective parts.
I have looked and there is not a single wok burner for indoors that comes with such great built quality and features. Hence it is a bit on the heavier side, around 4.4 pounds.
If you are not carrying this on long camping trips then it will not be a problem. The carry case is also hard and sturdy. Not like the ones that come with cheap $30 gas wok burners.
You will not regret picking this wok burner for indoors.
benefits of portable wok burner
There are several benefits of using a portable wok burner for your wok cooking needs:
- Portability: One of the primary benefits of a portable wok burner is its portability. Portable wok burners are lightweight, compact, and easy to move around, making them ideal for outdoor use, camping, or for those who do not have access to a built-in wok burner in their kitchen. You can take them with you on camping trips, picnics, or use them in various outdoor settings, providing flexibility and convenience.
- High heat output: Portable wok burners are designed to provide high heat output, typically ranging from 10,000 to 25,000 BTUs, which is ideal for wok cooking that requires quick searing and stir-frying. The high heat output allows you to achieve authentic wok cooking results with proper heat concentration and quick cooking times.
- Adjustable flame control: Portable wok burners usually come with adjustable flame controls, allowing you to easily adjust the heat levels during cooking. This gives you precise control over the heat, allowing you to customize the cooking process to suit your needs and achieve desired results.
- Flexibility: Portable wok burners provide flexibility in terms of where you can use them. You can use them indoors in your kitchen, on your outdoor patio, or take them with you for outdoor activities like camping or picnics. They are not limited to a specific location or setup, giving you versatility in your wok cooking options.
- Convenience: Portable wok burners are typically easy to set up, use, and clean. They often come with features such as ignition systems, safety shut-off valves, and wind guards that enhance convenience and safety during cooking. They also do not require any installation, unlike built-in wok burners, making them easy to use and store.
- Cost-effective: Portable wok burners are generally more affordable compared to built-in wok burners, making them a cost-effective option for wok cooking. They provide a practical and affordable solution for those who want to enjoy wok cooking without the need for expensive built-in burner installations.
Overall, portable wok burners offer portability, high heat output, adjustable flame control, flexibility, convenience, and cost-effectiveness, making them a popular choice for wok cooking in various settings. They provide a versatile and practical option for those who want to enjoy authentic wok cooking without the constraints of a built-in wok burner or for outdoor cooking needs.
should you buy a portable wok burner?
Whether or not to buy a portable wok burner depends on your specific needs, preferences, and circumstances. Here are some factors to consider when deciding whether a portable wok burner is the right choice for you:
- Frequency of wok cooking: If you frequently cook with a wok and require high heat for authentic wok cooking, a portable wok burner can be a practical option. It provides you with the flexibility to use your wok for cooking both indoors and outdoors, and allows you to achieve high heat levels for quick stir-frying and searing.
- Availability of a built-in wok burner: If you already have a built-in wok burner in your kitchen, or if you have access to a wok burner in an outdoor or communal setting, a portable wok burner may not be necessary. However, if you do not have access to a built-in wok burner or if you need a portable option for outdoor use or camping, a portable wok burner can be beneficial.
- Portability needs: If you require a portable solution for wok cooking due to outdoor activities, camping, or limited kitchen space, a portable wok burner can be a convenient option. Portable wok burners are lightweight, compact, and easy to move around, making them suitable for various settings where a built-in wok burner may not be available or practical.
- Heat output requirements: Wok cooking requires high heat for authentic results. If your existing stove or burner does not provide sufficient heat output for proper wok cooking, a portable wok burner with a high heat output can be a viable option to achieve the desired results.
- Budget considerations: Portable wok burners are generally more affordable compared to built-in wok burners, making them a cost-effective option for wok cooking. If budget is a consideration, a portable wok burner may be a more economical choice.
- Cooking preferences: If you enjoy wok cooking and want the flexibility to cook with a wok both indoors and outdoors, a portable wok burner can provide you with the convenience and versatility to do so.
Ultimately, the decision to buy a portable wok burner depends on your individual needs, preferences, and circumstances. Consider factors such as your frequency of wok cooking, availability of a built-in wok burner, portability needs, heat output requirements, budget considerations, and cooking preferences to make an informed decision.
what is a portable wok burner used for?
A portable wok burner is typically used for cooking with a wok in various settings, such as indoors, outdoors, camping, picnics, or other outdoor activities. It is designed to provide high heat output and flexibility for wok cooking, allowing you to achieve authentic stir-frying, searing, and other wok cooking techniques.
Some common uses of a portable wok burner include:
- Outdoor wok cooking: Portable wok burners are commonly used for outdoor wok cooking, providing the convenience of cooking with a wok in an outdoor setting, such as in your backyard, patio, or while camping. They are designed to be compact, lightweight, and easy to transport, making them suitable for outdoor activities where a built-in wok burner may not be available.
- Indoor wok cooking: Portable wok burners can also be used indoors in your kitchen, especially if your existing stove or burner does not provide sufficient heat output for proper wok cooking. They can be used as an additional burner on your kitchen countertop or table, providing high heat for authentic wok cooking.
- Flexibility in cooking location: Portable wok burners offer flexibility in terms of where you can cook with a wok. You can use them in various locations, such as at home, in a park, at a picnic site, or in other outdoor settings, providing versatility and convenience for your wok cooking needs.
- Camping or outdoor activities: Portable wok burners are popular for camping or other outdoor activities where you may not have access to a built-in wok burner. They allow you to enjoy wok cooking in the great outdoors, providing an option for flavorful and versatile cooking while camping or participating in other outdoor activities.
- Events and gatherings: Portable wok burners can also be used for events, gatherings, or parties where you want to provide live wok cooking or offer a unique cooking experience. They can be used for cooking demonstrations, food stations, or interactive cooking activities, adding an element of excitement and versatility to your events.
Overall, a portable wok burner is used for wok cooking in various settings, providing high heat output, flexibility, and convenience for stir-frying, searing, and other wok cooking techniques. It offers versatility for outdoor and indoor cooking, camping, picnics, events, and other activities where a built-in wok burner may not be available or practical.
main features of a wok burner
The main features of a wok burner can vary depending on the specific model and brand, but generally, they may include:
- High heat output: Wok burners are designed to generate high heat output, typically measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units), to quickly and effectively heat the wok and cook ingredients at high temperatures, which is essential for authentic stir-frying and other wok cooking techniques.
- Multiple burners or rings: Wok burners often have multiple burners or rings to provide even heat distribution across the bottom of the wok. This allows for efficient and consistent cooking, ensuring that all ingredients are cooked evenly.
- Jet or jet burner design: Wok burners often have a jet or jet burner design, which produces a concentrated flame that shoots directly at the bottom of the wok. This allows for intense heat and fast cooking times, making it ideal for wok cooking.
- Sturdy construction: Wok burners are typically made from durable materials such as cast iron, stainless steel, or other heat-resistant materials to withstand high heat and repeated use.
- Wind guards or screens: Some wok burners may come with wind guards or screens to protect the flame from wind, which can help maintain a consistent heat output, especially when cooking outdoors or in windy conditions.
- Adjustable flame control: Many wok burners allow for adjustable flame control, allowing you to regulate the heat output to suit your cooking needs. This can be particularly useful for precise control over the cooking process.
- Safety features: Some wok burners may come with safety features such as flame failure detection, thermocouple sensors, or other safety mechanisms to automatically shut off the gas supply in case of flame extinguishment or other emergencies.
- Portability: Portable wok burners are designed to be easily transported and set up in different locations, making them convenient for outdoor cooking or cooking in temporary settings.
- Easy-to-clean design: Wok burners may have removable parts or a design that makes them easy to clean, such as removable burner heads or drip trays, to facilitate cleaning and maintenance.
These are some of the main features commonly found in wok burners, but it's important to note that different models may have additional features or variations. When choosing a wok burner, consider your specific cooking needs and preferences, as well as the available space, fuel type, and budget, to select a wok burner that best suits your requirements.
How do you cook on a wok burner?
Here are the basic steps for cooking on a wok burner:
- Set up the wok burner: Place the wok burner on a stable surface, preferably outdoors or in a well-ventilated area, away from flammable objects. Connect the propane gas or other fuel source according to the manufacturer's instructions. Make sure the burner is properly set up and the gas flow is regulated.
- Prepare the wok: Heat the wok burner on high heat for a few minutes to allow it to reach the desired temperature. Meanwhile, prepare your wok by seasoning it if needed, and have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go.
- Add oil and heat: Once the wok burner is hot, add oil to the wok and swirl it around to coat the entire surface of the wok. Heat the oil until it is shimmering or smoking slightly, indicating it is hot and ready for cooking.
- Add ingredients: Add your ingredients to the hot wok, starting with aromatics like garlic, ginger, or onions, followed by meats, vegetables, or other ingredients, based on your recipe or cooking preferences. Use a wok spatula or other suitable utensils to stir-fry the ingredients quickly, keeping them moving constantly to ensure even cooking and to prevent burning.
- Season and stir-fry: Season the ingredients with sauces, spices, or other flavorings as desired, and continue to stir-fry the ingredients over high heat, using quick and vigorous motions. Toss, flip, and stir the ingredients constantly to promote even cooking and to achieve the desired texture and flavor.
- Finish and serve: Once the ingredients are cooked to your liking, turn off the wok burner and remove the wok from the heat. Transfer the cooked ingredients to a serving dish and garnish with any desired toppings. Serve hot and enjoy your delicious wok-cooked meal!
It's important to note that cooking on a wok burner requires quick and continuous stirring, tossing, and flipping of the ingredients to achieve authentic wok cooking results. It's also essential to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when using a wok burner, as it generates high heat and requires proper ventilation to avoid hazards. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions for safe and proper use of your specific wok burner model.
how to clean a portable wok burner?
Cleaning a portable wok burner is typically a straightforward process. Here are some general steps to follow:
- Allow the burner to cool: After cooking on your portable wok burner, allow it to cool completely before attempting to clean it. This helps to prevent burns or injuries during the cleaning process.
- Disconnect the fuel source: If your portable wok burner uses a fuel source such as propane gas, make sure to disconnect it from the burner before cleaning. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper fuel source disconnection.
- Wipe down the burner: Use a clean, damp cloth or sponge to wipe down the burner, removing any food debris or oil residue. You can also use a mild dish soap or cleaner if needed, but be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any soap residue.
- Clean the cooking surface: Pay particular attention to the cooking surface of the wok burner, as this is where most of the food debris and oil residue may accumulate. Use a brush or sponge to scrub the cooking surface gently, removing any stubborn stains or residue.
- Rinse and dry: After cleaning, rinse the burner thoroughly with clean water to remove any cleaning agents or soap residue. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth or towel, or allow it to air dry completely before storing.
- Store properly: Once the portable wok burner is clean and dry, store it in a cool, dry place, away from moisture or other potential damage. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper storage, including any specific recommendations or precautions.
It's important to note that the cleaning process may vary slightly depending on the specific model and material of your portable wok burner. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the recommended cleaning and maintenance procedures for your particular wok burner. Regular cleaning and proper maintenance will help to prolong the lifespan of your portable wok burner and ensure it remains in good condition for future use.
Best Carbon Steel Wok Recommended by Wokware
Mammafong 14 inch Traditional Hand Hammered Round Bottom Carbon Steel Pow Wok Set
Editor at Wokware
She is an expert in the niche of kitchenware for 10 years now. She has given readers fact based, well researched, to the point answers of their valuable questions. Her goal is to simplify kitchen products and their utilities.